Sunday, September 10, 2006

Yearbooks

Today I was putting away my yearbook from the KISS conversation with Max the other night, and that sparked a look through all my yearbooks. I have all my Jr. High and my junior and senior high school ones. I keep them on the bookshelf in my living room, and I always have. They started out as the books that had all my friends pictures in them, but over the years they have evolved into reference books. It seems like usually they get pulled out when a former classmate or teacher dies or makes the news. But today it was purely for entertainment value, and that is the best reason for anyone to pull out a yearbook. My junior high and high school years were 1973-1979. At the time, just like today, we were influenced by the popular culture of the day. As time has gone on, the Seventies have become frozen in time, a bygone era of pre-AIDS free love, fun fashions and innocent drug consumption. And in my yearbooks are perfect snapshots of those times. Take, for example this picture:





This is one of my favorite pictures from my 8th grade yearbook, it beautifully sums up popular culture in 1974. At least popular culture in Seaside, California.

So I encourage you to keep your yearbooks close at hand; just like us, they do indeed appreciate with age.

No comments: