Thursday, November 15, 2007

The Importance Of Writing Things Down

Today is Thursday and I should be at work except for I was throwing up in the middle of the night so I thought it best to stay home. I don't feel too bad right now, but not great either. I feel well enough to blog but not well enough to get dressed. So here I am.

Today I would like to talk about writing stuff down. I am glad I have this blog because every so often I read it and then I remember what I did and when I did it. I have discovered to my dismay that my memory is shot. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I smoked huge amounts of weed every day for 10 years while my brain was forming as a teen. But it is what it is.

One thing that sucks is that I don't recall a whole lot of my kids' childhoods. I look at pictures and I can remember them little but as far as remembering day to day events from the past, I'm not so good at that. Certain incidents are embedded in my memory for sure, like the time I caught Max at age 3 chewing a giant wad of gum at the store. When I asked him where he got it, he pointed to the floor. I freaked out, and that's probably why it made an impression on my memory. But the things they said that I swore I would remember because they were so hilarious, I have forgitten most of them. Except the ones I wrote down. Here is the best one, from Leo, age 3, while sitting on my lap and patting my boob.

"Mom, I don't play with boobs anymore."
(pause)
"But I touch them a lot!"
(pause)
"I pet them like they're dogs."

I think that is pretty darn insightful for a three year old. And if I hadn't written it down at the time, I may not have that memory to cherish today.

So people, if you want to remember stuff, write it down!

Thank you.

No comments: