Monday, June 27, 2005

On Cooking

I wish I liked cooking. If I liked cooking a tenth as much as I liked eating, I would be a great cook. I remember my mom calling me to the kitchen, telling me to watch her cook because I would need to know how someday. I said I'm sorry mom, I will never need to know how to cook cauliflower, sauerkraut or anything else she would make. I survived my childhood eating sandwiches.
Anyway, in retrospect, I probably should have watched her. I am now totally inept in the kitchen. Oh, I have 3 or 4 dishes that I do well all the time, but mostly when it comes to cooking I am daunted and overwhelmed. I envy people like my sister or my friend Kim, who can put stuff together without a recipe and are not afraid to be creative and try new things in the kitchen.
The reason for all this rambling is, tonight my son Max made dinner. Grilled cheese sandwiches. Now, my idea of a grilled cheese sandwich is 2 Kraft singles melted on some square-shaped wheat bread. Max's grilled cheese sandwiches are works of art, made with swiss or muenster cheese on dill rye bread with tomatoes, fresh dill, horseradish and topped with grated romano cheese. He is a very creative and artistic person in general, and he just naturally applied that creative artistry to cooking. At least I know he will never starve, actually he will eat pretty well.
And when I get old and can't live by myself, I will lobby to go live with him!

No comments: