Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Gas Issues

Here are some things that the price of gas has changed for me.

1) I now carpool to work 2-4 days a week. This has turned out to be a very good thing for a number of reasons. The best one is that my carpool buddy and I have a great time talking and laughing (a lot) in the car. Yesterday's topic was school bus memories. Hilarious!

2) Being in the passenger seat when it's Heather's turn to drive has made for some great I-90 people watching. I saw a fabulous mullet blowing in the wind yesterday. It seems that the people who have mullets are also the people who have no A/C in their car and drive with all the windows down on hot days. Just an observation.

3) I am noticing a LOT of bicycles on the road these days. Not just the spandex sport riders, but a lot of regular people too. Even on really hot days there are a ton of them. Last week one of my co-workers got hit by a car while riding her bike home from work. So to all five of you who read this, please be extra careful and watch for cyclists when you are on the road.

4) What was formerly called "running errands" has now become "taking a road trip", because a five mile drive to the Target at the Y is now an event since I no longer go up there on a whim.

5) Here is a question. How long would it take for a scooter or a little car to pay for itself in gas price savings? Would it ever pay for itself? I know that the answer is different for everyone, but I don't think it would ever pay off for me.

OK, gotta leave for the Park & Ride now, have a great day!

1 comment:

marrusso said...

I've been telling Joe lately that I want to buy a Vespa. He seems to think its too dangerous (Nana), but I think it would be a big savings in gas - just for all of the around town driving.