Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Happy Birthday Susan Lynn

Today is my sister's birthday. She was twelve years old when I was born, which makes her, well, twelve years older than me. She has been an outstanding sister my whole life. Here are a few things that stand out for me.

1) She was a teenager when I was little. She often did the clothes shopping for me because our mom was busy at our store. This resulted in many many cool sixties outfits complete with go-go boots. White ones. Awesome.

2) When I was twelve, she took me on a month long car camping trip across the western US. Now if I were a young adult going on a trip, the last person I would want to drag along would be my little sister. But she took me. In retrospect, I think it was so I could do all the camping dishes every night. But even so, that was a great trip which instilled in me a love of the open road and where it leads.

3) She is great to go to a store with. We make fun of all kinds of stuff. And we laugh a whole lot.

4) She is the best cook. She just whips stuff up! I miss Thanksgiving dinners and Christmas dinners and Fourth of July barbecues.

5) When I suddenly found myself single with two small kids, she paid my mortgage for six months until I found a job. I will never ever be able to repay her kindness and generosity which meant so much to me then and still does today.

I called her early this morning and I figured she would be up since old people wake up early and she was. We talked for a few minutes and while we agreed that she is older than me, there was some debate as to whether she was wiser, so we just decided that she is older and taller than me. I could not ask for a better sister. Happy Birthday Susan Lynn!!



LOVE YA LOVE YA!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Karla. I learned alot about myself since I totally forgot most of those things. I guess there's just so much going on in my head there's no room for my memory!!!I'm OLD!!n You are a great sister and I;m glad to have you for my sister!!
The taller one with NO memory:-)