Monday, February 16, 2009

Steak - The Next Generation

This post is about steak. My dad used to grill up awesome steaks. So did my brother. Here is a steak picture from about 45 years ago:



This picture was taken in our backyard. We had a huge brick barbecue pit and it got used a lot. My dad and my brother loved a good steak, and they loved making them as much as eating them. I remember once at my sister's house, my dad and brother were barbecuing on a Weber grill. My brother kept shooting water through the air vent holes in the lid, creating so much smoke that I thought for sure the fire department was going to show up. Everyone was coughing and through all the smoke I see my brother turn to my dad and say "Good Smoke", and my dad replied back, "Good Smoke". It was hilarious! Those steaks were really good too. Anyway, all this to say that steak and barbecue have been part of the family as long as I can remember.

So you would think that I would know how to cook a steak, right? Wrong. Dead wrong. I have a reputation in my family as a non-cooker. And you'd think that as much as I love food, that I would have taken the time to learn how to make it. Sadly, this has not been the case. This is not to say that I don't cook at all, but I rarely take the time and effort to make a really good meal.

I do get bursts of inspiration from time to time. They usually come after long periods of watching Food Network. The last burst came right before Christmas, when I had the presence of mind to ask for a cast iron grill/griddle as a present from the boys. And they bought me one! So far I have used it about three times. And I saw where Rachel Ray made steaks on one. So I went to one of my favorite blogs, The Pioneer Woman, and found this. I followed her basic rules and threw some top sirloin steaks on my grill. And guess what? They turned out fantastic! The best steak I EVER made BY FAR!!! My kids could not believe it, as they have been eating my cooking their whole lives and know what happens when I go into the kitchen. We were all so excited that Max took a pioture with his cell phone:



My dad and brother would be so proud of me! I am so proud of me!! Thank you Pioneer Woman for showing me the light!

No comments: