Monday, October 06, 2008

This Will Mean Nothing Unless You Are Into Hip-Hop.

Tonight is the VH1 Hip-Hop Honors. Sort of like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, but for Hip-Hop artists. One of the inductees is a fellow who goes by the name of Slick Rick. He is perhaps best known for his song "Childrens Story". Here is my own children's story about Slick Rick.

About 3 years ago when we still lived in Monterey, Slick Rick came to town to do a show. The afternoon of the show, Max told me that him and Leo were going downtown to meet Slick Rick. Naturally, I was skeptical, because what possessed Max to think he could just go downtown, find Slick Rick, and meet him? So you can imagine my amazement when the boys came home and showed me these:




Not only did they meet Slick Rick, they also had dinner with him at Taco Bell. I just have to wonder what this hip hop legend thought of these two pudgy faced white kids who went downtown just to meet him. Quite the welcoming committee I think.

So as I watch Slick Rick on tv tonight, I am reminded of the story of three people with vastly different lives sharing a meal, and also gold chains.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

KARL HEAD!!!! It's your favorite Niece (Neice? How the hell do you spell me?) I've just recently come across this blogging site with an associate of mine and I remembered you had a profile too! Anyhoo, just wanted to drop in and say hello. Check out her profile if you get a chance - you ladies might kick a few laughs! I'm sure you could guess my comment...haha LOVE YA!!

Sara Habein said...

Slick Rick! That's great!